Pages

A high-heel loving gal and her trusty sidekick…
Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Nurses' Week

(Idea courtesy of Meg - my favorite Nurse!)

It is Nurses Week.
Normally I don't really acknowledge my job much.
Like Meg, I have a difficult time really talking about my work.
There are a lot of layers.
Emotionally, mentally.
It's a lot easier to smile and shrug things off when asked about my job.
Which I Love. Love. Love.
I am also not a crier, especially at work.
I can count on one hand (okay, really probably 2 fingers) the number of times I have cried at/because of work.
This does not mean that I am not 100% emotionally invested in what I do and the patients I see every day.
I cheer for them, I commiserate with them, I fight my hardest because they are fighting their hardest. Every single day.
I am in awe.

This video is exactly what I LOVE about Oncology nursing.
(Because there is nowhere else I can picture myself working...)

The nurses are fun. 
They aren't afraid to dance with you, or for you. Or sing with you. Or hug you, or give you a high five, or a pep talk...
Oncology nurses are something special (in my humble opinion).  ;)

But the patients?
Wow.
They blow my socks off.  All of them.
I don't take care of kids much - but when we get the occasional 18- or 20- or 22-year old, they are always something special. Amazing kids. With amazing attitudes.

So watch, enjoy, and remember to take a moment to thank/acknowledge/love a Nurse this week (if you are lucky enough to know one, or unfortunate enough to be under the care of one)!!!

4 comments:

Laurie said...

that video was so great! And here's what I emailed Meg:

When people say stupid things like "how could you...", what they mean is "Why can't I..." Why can't I be so brave, so smart, so full of love, so strong, so dedicated, so able to find value in everything I do at work, so caring, so AWESOME...

I am beyond proud to have two nurses in the family. What you wrote the other day about teachers? double for nurses. quadruple even.

And when Cara was 3 and in intensive care for a few days, it was a very kind nurse who comforted me when I finally couldn't be a brave mom any more. I've never forgotten that. So know that your work will not be forgotten either.

Cara said...

I could not be more proud to have two oncology nurses in our family. What mom said sums it all up perfectly. I am in awe of what you guys do every single day! And you do it with a smile because you know that is what the patient needs!

Katie said...

wow, thanks guys - amazing words.

Pia said...

Definitely a tie with teachers in my book. I love how well nurses take care of us, with a smile, doing all the jobs doctors don't want to do. You are amazing men and women who put aside sadness to show caring (and yes, it's ok if that comes with a tear). You cheer them on when they are winning and when they are losing and you do it with grace.